M is for Music Monday's
T is for Trivia Tuesday's
W is for Written Word Wednesday's
T is for Silent T Thursday's
F is for Fashion Friday's
S is for Sexy Science Saturday's and Sunday's

Saturday 14 June 2008

The nose always knows...

This is a blog about some of the research going on at my University - Griffith University in Queensland.

A few of my lecturers who work in the National Adult Stem Cell Research Centre AND Eskitis Institute for Cell and Molecular Therapies - both at my campus...




My lecturer Alan Mackay-Sim, he of the human trials using olfactory (nasal) stem cells to regenerate spinal chord injuries (I think the trails started around 2003 - not sure where they are at, at this time). He and his team with funding of $200,000 YES $200,000 was able to turn these olfactory stem cells into heart cells, brain cells and nerve cells among others...

They were able to do this on such a little amount - but has the world taken notice NO, not really - everyone keeps funding embryonic stem cell research - don't get me wrong I believe we need to keep that option open - but when you have quite a high chance of the embryonic stem cells being rejected by the patient as well as forming tumours - isn't this worth investing in?

One of my friend's Milly is doing her Honours with them and I am sure she just told me that they have received recent funding from the Vatican for millions and millions - which worries me - I don't like the thought of religion have power in science, science should be run ethically and not emotionally or religiously...

I know they have received about $12 million from the Qld Government to help fund their research (they probably wished they had this about 5 years ago when they first found out about the olfactory stem cells and what they could do - but better late then never I guess..


They have found some new stuff that was recently published

Griffth News about the recently published science article

The full article for anyone with a few spare minutes

When stem cells from the nose of Parkinson's patients were cultured and injected into the damaged area, the rats re-acquired the ability to run in a straight line.

All animals transplanted with the human cells had a dramatic reduction in the rate of rotation within just 3 weeks," he said.

This provided evidence the cells had differentiated to give rise to dopamine-producing neurons influenced by being in the environment of the brain. In-vitro tests also revealed the presence of dopamine.


I do so like the way my University is going with their research - it's an exciting time at Griffith University - in fact in Queensland with all the amazing new research coming out of here (Gardisil anyone)..


4 comments:

fona25 said...

Go us Qlders! I love this crap, natty. If it weren't for you, I would know nothing!

BTW, have tagged you. check my work blog for details!

Cassandra Doyle said...

Yep I'm with Fona! Qlders are definately leading the way in science these days! (But don't you worry Natty - the catholic church can donate as much money as they want - the ethics committee wont let it influence the way the research goes - the catholic church just hope they can!!!)
Guardasil - yep is fantastic - do you know only just now being made available in other parts of the world - Australia started 2-3 yrs ago whil I was working at the mater!

Mhor said...

Yeah and you know I think Australia is the only place that is doing the vaccination for free for under 26 year olds.. I heard it costs a bundle in the US... Damn it your government should want to help you combat HPV and poss cancer - save them money in the long rung!!

Mhor said...

Lol RUN - not rung!!