M is for Music Monday's
T is for Trivia Tuesday's
W is for Written Word Wednesday's
T is for Silent T Thursday's
F is for Fashion Friday's
S is for Sexy Science Saturday's and Sunday's

Wednesday 21 May 2008

Had a good $%#& lately?

So did I get your attention? Think you know the missing word? I bet you don't....




I was just thinking it's been ages since I had a good READ lately... hahahaha...

I have been looking at the top 100 best reads from 1923 - present. This list was done by Time Magazine in 2005 so maybe there has been some awesome books since then released but who knows..

Let's focus on one thing at a time.. I pride myself on being a reader - I pride myself on finding obscure authors and reading their stuff. I realised today I very rarely read what I should. I don't do the popular thing - I can't make myself read something a million people are telling me to read - yet I have NO qualms telling people what books they simply "must" read. Can anyone say hypocrite???



So here's the list in no particular order - actually that would be in alphabetical order :p


The Adventures of Augie March
Saul Bellow

All the King's Men
Robert Penn Warren

American Pastoral
Philip Roth

An American Tragedy
Theodore Dreiser


Animal Farm
George Orwell


Appointment in Samarra
John O'Hara

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Judy Blume

The Assistant
Bernard Malamud

At Swim-Two-Birds
Flann O'Brien

Atonement
Ian McEwan


Beloved
Toni Morrison

The Berlin Stories
Christopher Isherwood

The Big Sleep
Raymond Chandler

The Blind Assassin
Margaret Atwood

Blood Meridian
Cormac McCarthy

Brideshead Revisited
Evelyn Waugh


The Bridge of San Luis Rey
Thornton Wilder

Call It Sleep
Henry Roth

Catch-22
Joseph Heller

The Catcher in the Rye
J.D. Salinger


A Clockwork Orange
Anthony Burgess


The Confessions of Nat Turner
William Styron

The Corrections
Jonathan Franzen

The Crying of Lot 49
Thomas Pynchon

A Dance to the Music of Time
Anthony Powell

The Day of the Locust
Nathanael West


Death Comes for the Archbishop
Willa Cather

A Death in the Family
James Agee


The Death of the Heart
Elizabeth Bowen

Deliverance
James Dickey

Dog Soldiers
Robert Stone

Falconer
John Cheever

The French Lieutenant's Woman
John Fowles


The Golden Notebook
Doris Lessing

Go Tell it on the Mountain
James Baldwin

Gone With the Wind
Margaret Mitchell


The Grapes of Wrath
John Steinbeck


Gravity's Rainbow
Thomas Pynchon

The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald


A Handful of Dust
Evelyn Waugh

The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter
Carson McCullers

The Heart of the Matter
Graham Greene

Herzog
Saul Bellow

Housekeeping
Marilynne Robinson

A House for Mr. Biswas
V.S. Naipaul

I, Claudius
Robert Graves


Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace

Invisible Man
Ralph Ellison


Light in August
William Faulkner

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
C.S. Lewis


Lolita
Vladimir Nabokov


Lord of the Flies
William Golding


The Lord of the Rings
J.R.R. Tolkien


Loving
Henry Green

Lucky Jim
Kingsley Amis

The Man Who Loved Children
Christina Stead


Midnight's Children
Salman Rushdie


Money
Martin Amis

The Moviegoer
Walker Percy

Mrs. Dalloway
Virginia Woolf


Naked Lunch
William Burroughs

Native Son
Richard Wright

Neuromancer
William Gibson

Never Let Me Go
Kazuo Ishiguro

1984
George Orwell


On the Road
Jack Kerouac

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Ken Kesey


The Painted Bird
Jerzy Kosinsk
i

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov

A Passage to India
E.M. Forster


Play It As It Lays
Joan Didion

Portnoy's Complaint
Philip Roth

Possession
A.S. Byatt

The Power and the Glory
Graham Greene

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Muriel Spark

Rabbit, Run
John Updike

Ragtime
E.L. Doctorow

The Recognitions
William Gaddis

Red Harvest
Dashiell Hammett


Revolutionary Road
Richard Yates

The Sheltering Sky
Paul Bowles

Slaughterhouse-Five
Kurt Vonnegut

Snow Crash
Neal Stephenson

The Sot-Weed Factor
John Barth

The Sound and the Fury
William Faulkner


The Sportswriter
Richard Ford

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
John le Carre


The Sun Also Rises
Ernest Hemingway

Their Eyes Were Watching God
Zora Neale Hurston

Things Fall Apart
Chinua Achebe

To Kill a Mockingbird
Harper Lee


To the Lighthouse
Virginia Woolf


Tropic of Cancer
Henry Miller

Ubik
Philip K. Dick

Under the Net
Iris Murdoch

Under the Volcano
Malcolm Lowry

Watchmen
Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons

White Noise
Don DeLillo

White Teeth
Zadie Smith


Wide Sargasso Sea
Jean Rhys


So how may of these have I read? Not as many as I should have. How many have I always meant to read but never got around to it. Quite a few... I think it's time.... Time to join a library again. Get a book out and read read read.. Alas it will have to wait until Uni holidays ;)

So tell me how many of these have you read? How many of these do you want to read? And is your favourite book on here? If not what is yours???

Do I have a favourite book? Probably not but I do love the first one from my series Wheel Of Time - that book takes me right back to the beginning of the series when everything was shiny and new and exciting and UNKNOWN.. I love re-reading it to get that feeling back.. Same as the Narnia books - they take me back to that time when anything was possible and where it was believable to be able to get to another world through a closet... I watched Limony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events last night with Sammo (when is the next one coming out or is there no others??) and it make me wish I was a child so I could read that book. I wonder if the feeling you have when you re-read a childhood favourite would be there with a children's book you are reading as an adult... Or would it just disapoint cause you don't believe in magic and well really in anything anymore - your too grown up for that...


Thoughts?


7 comments:

fona25 said...

hmmmm...less than half a dozen that I have read. But I've always said that I don't watch movies, or read to make myself feel intelligent. I watch or read to escape. So I'm all for trashy, chick lit. I'm glad I got you to read The Da Vinci Code though!

Cassandra Doyle said...

hmmmm.... didnt i comment on this??
You know what I think that your blog eats my comments!!!
I find i dont read anything that isn't online anymore ;(
I could possibly blame my inability to borrow books and the poor selection of english titles at the local bookstores.... But we all know it comes my lack of motivation!!
p.s. chic lit rocks!!! I defo like to read to learn - but i like to escape as well!!! Think Jilly Cooper, Marian Keyes etc etc

Nicci said...

Holden Caulfield is a wanka....the whole story is boring, boring boring... I know why all these (read 2) serial killers have millions of copies...it is because it bored them into insanity and that's why they murdered!!
will look up some of the titles...agree with most...maybe missing some....it's all relative really.... opinon of books is precrative...'
but HATE HATE HATE catcher in the rye....
sorry baby...but know that you understand...

Nicci said...

Holden Caulfield is the most boring person in the world!!
sorry honey...(and i know you get this) but I HATE HATE HATE this book.
I understand why serial killers (ok...2 famous killers) had millions of copies....it is because it bored them to insanity and that is why they killed people...to get some excitment (???) in their lives!!
I agree with most others...missing a few...don't know others...but it is a good solid list.
still love my "boy" books. still love Wilbur Smith...corny I know...
might make my own and let you know....
xxx
Nic

Nicci said...

how come two versions of this came up?//
had sooooo much trouble signing in...might be it...
clearly my opnion did not change too much???

Cassandra Doyle said...

p.s. i think it is the sad truth that when you grown up your too grown up to believe in the magic you did when you were a kid. I no longer believe that I could go to Narnia if I just found that closet - although I wish!!

Mhor said...

I know you don't believe in the magic when you get older but when you re-read the stories you remember the magical feeling you had the first time.. That's why I love re-visting the Narnia books... But I truely feel reading the Lemony Snickett books could be similar but alas cause I didn't read them as a child it wouldn't hold the magic for me :(

Phew does that make sense?


And Nic - I know you hated him - I remember from when you were at school and that is probably the reason I haven't read it and why I want to read it also... B